Quantcast

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

Post subject: need an AIminded opinion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:28 pm 
Get Real Graduate

so I have been going through some stuff thats work related and I just seen this new jobs section at AI . Brilliant! So I felt it might do me some good to write things down with all opinions welcome.

So basically a little while ago I decided I wasn't happy wasting away at a job I was not getting any fulfillment out off or happy at , and went in search off a career I could really love. I ended up in a incredible journey in to the world off personal training. The course was one off the hardest yet most fulfilling things I have ever done and it felt like a big achievement to have finished.

Here is where things get tricky. Instead off going to just any gym to become your average pt, I came in contact with some really highly regarded pts in the industry who I decided to try and land a job with in what is the fitness industry's version off an apprenticeship.

It was a long and challenging interview process but I did prevail and was due to start at the beginning off the year. Last week however I was informed that the mentoring program I was going to be doing is no longer available because the two pt's I was going to be working for decided they were going their separate ways.

I had spent a huge amount off time and effort in order to get this job and put aside things like a overseas trip I had been planing all year because I had decided this was a good opportunity, only to now have it taken from me . The kicker is that I could still go on with one off the pt's at the club but the manager now wants me to basically jump through some more hoops to see if he thinks I got what it take's and then at the end off that if I pass i might but not guaranteed that I will be offered a role in the club.

Part off me wants to tell them all to get fucked and blow up because I have done everything they have asked for only to be screwed over for something that was not my fault.

But the other day doing a part off the 'get real' program I realized that in my work life I always tend to run from failure, instead off head towards success. Its with this realization that I am now thinking instead off thinking " what if I waste another 6 weeks and I still don't get the job, look at everything I have sacrificed and now they want more", I should be thinking "this can be a good learning experience that's going to make me a better trainer , when they take me on because I will succeed".

Still I have been fighting with both these frames off mind and can't commit to either. I feel I want to give myself the power to think positive and come from a position off power in my work life, however there's just that voice that keeps saying , you don't need this shit, tell them to get fucked.

If anyone has read on long enough to this rant, I would love another opinion but I will say that even just writing about it has helped a lot so i am loving this new section.

-scrubs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:51 am 
Get Real Graduate

hey that is an unfortunate situation

first of all you should think about what your ideal job would be, where you want to end up in 2/5/10 years or whatever your time frame is.

You should look at what options you have and the various pros and cons.

One is to suck it up and jump through the hoops. 6 weeks isn't that long. Maybe you would be working with someone you respect and you think you can learn a lot from.

One is to look at other pt opportunities, who else is looking for a pt? Maybe they can offer better working conditions, or other things that would be beneficial to your longer term goals.

Or you could go on your trip. Maybe you could say "i am still really interested but I had been waiting for ages and put off my trip so Im going to go take that, ill call you in a few months when im back". But maybe if you say that they will hire someone else. I don't know what the market for pt's is like.

There is nothing to be gained in burning bridges by getting angry, especially if this is a field where you see yourself longer term. It's a small world.

Whatever you do just be thinking about where you want to be, and take the steps that are most likely to lead you in that direction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm 
Get Real Graduate

yeah thanks for the opinion mate. Made a lot off sense.

It gets hard when you keep doing these big circles in your head off all those questions and keep coming full 360 with answers haha

just got to keep trying to come up with those answers i suppose. I think I need a dedicated thinking chair haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:55 am 
Fresh Fish

Like you say it all depends on what frame of mind you're looking at it from.

Last edited by Recon on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 am 
Get Real Graduate

trusting your gut is a good call. I think most people on this board are pretty introspective and analytical, and there is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes you gotta be able to turn it off.

do i want to go for that job

do i want to talk to that girl

sometimes you're better off just saying fuck it and going for it.

work can be shit & thats why they pay you for it. being an adult means sometimes doing things you dont really like.

I used to do a lot of manual labor with my dad. once i asked him if we should take a break, and he said "the first time i want to take a break, i just go back to working. the second time i feel it then i take my break". I learnt a lot about hard work from him.

Another useful thing is to think about worst cases. Lets say you do the six weeks and it doesnt work out. Whats the downside? 6 weeks of your life? Dude that will pass so quick you will barely notice it. Would you have these doubts about saying fuck it then? Would the experience help to get a similar role somewhere else? Would you have any internal dramas about taking your holiday?

This post by dave is a good one viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4175

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm 
Get Real Graduate

AI style.

Rise to the challenge man.

Don't fucking hesitate.

In retrospect you can always regret your decisions,b ut you didn't know better at the time. Commit to it and go for it. Don't doubt yourself, you've got this far, you have what it takes. It's always when you get close to the finish line, that people give up, because it's too hard, or it's unfair, or it's not worth it, or I'm not good enough. Guess what, you're there, you have the chance, do what you can, do what you must, if you back down now, the only thing that you'll have handed to you is regret.

Read "The Alchemist" By Paul Coehlo you'll understand what I mean.

I'm on a stint of work experience as a journo. I'm currently exhausted, feeling sick from sleep deprivation, I'm totally out of my depth, and have to chase my bosses up because they're busy. I've got so much other work due, I'm fucked uni wise. I've jumped through hoops, I'm working 10-12 hour days... I love it.

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.