Board index : THE LOUNGE : Inner Game Essentials

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:59 am 
Get Real Graduate

Sup dudes,

I recommend Discover You Now.

http://thinksimplenow.com/dyn/index.html

Basically it's theory, questions, answer questions. Learn about yourself.

I think it's a great extra exercise and it helped me get my purpose in life more clear.

Post subject: Re: Inner Game books
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:29 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Something I thought I should add, which I'm surprised hasn't come up before:

Anthem and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Both of these books are about shunning the "for the good of the people" idea and all the 'selflessness' that it brings (as well as all the neediness and dependency it also brings).

Anthem is a short, 70 page novelette that can be knocked out in a few hours. The book follows the story of a man in a society where all individual will has been taken away, and his struggle with that. All work is assigned by a 'higher power' and is done 'for the good of the people'. I haven't read Anthem in a few years, but I can distinctly remember it being one of the few books I really enjoyed. It's definitely worth the hour or two of reading.

Atlas Shrugged is a much larger, more comprehensive novel. It follows the story of the vice president of a railroad company and her struggle to make it thrive and keep it running in a society where people are focused on taking and not creating, all while things are progressively going to shit. I finished up Atlas Shrugged a few weeks ago, and it was by far one of the best books that I've ever read. It lays out the argument against doing things for anybody but yourself in more clarity than I've ever seen. Very few books have motivated me to take action more than this one.

I'm also starting The Fountainhead today (also by Ayn Rand), and I'd hazard a guess at saying it's going to be great too, but I can't say for certain.

"The cork could stick for a real-life Galt, too. But if it did, he would brush the distraction aside; he would not let it affect his mood or evening. In life one ignores the unimportant." -Ayn Rand, on John Galt uncorking a champagne bottle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 am 
Jung

The Fountainhead's incredible. I'll attest to that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand by Leonard Peikoff.

Written by Ayn Rand's intellectual heir, this book lays out Ayn Rand's philosophy in full, explicit detail, however it is an intellectually demanding read. This book has actually clarified a lot of AI philosophy for me, specifically by drawing contrast between the underlying beliefs and assumptions that people in the "Getting" mindset (second-handers) have vs. people in the "Doing" or "Creating" path (creators). If you're looking for a comprehensive examination of a creator and how he lives his life, this is the book.

Disclaimer: if you haven't read Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead, this book may be hard to get through, and understanding it may take even more effort. I recommend reading one or both of those first. Also, the first few chapters deal with basic assumptions that everything else builds on, and their proofs. This can be a bit boring at times, but read it all if you're reading the book. Its the foundation, and without it none of the rest works.

"The cork could stick for a real-life Galt, too. But if it did, he would brush the distraction aside; he would not let it affect his mood or evening. In life one ignores the unimportant." -Ayn Rand, on John Galt uncorking a champagne bottle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 am 
Endgame Aficionado

My two cents to this will be:

To have or to be? by Erich Fromm.
Simply I can refer to it as to pretty much same thing that is described in Endgame, but in more philosophy/psychology manner (and less focused on relationships). Interesting why it wasn't noticed before. Difference between "to have or to be" noticed by Fromm is, essentially, the very same difference between Endgame's "pathways". He dugs really deep into this stuff, it's social and individual roots, how it affects our lives in various areas, how it can be changed and so on. Just look at that:

Quote:
...Most people find giving up their having orientation too difficult; any
attempt to do so arouses their intense anxiety and feels like giving up all
security, like being thrown into the ocean when one does not know how
to swim. They do not know that when they have given up the crutch of
property, they can begin to use their own proper forces and walk by
themselves. What holds them back is the illusion that they could not walk
by themselves, that they would collapse if they were not supported by the
things they have. They are like the child who is afraid that it will never be
able to walk, after it has fallen the first time. But nature and human help
prevent human beings from becoming cripples.

The Art of Loving by the same author.
And this book is about how and why it's possible to experience love as something that you want to give (create), instead of something that you are usually trying to get or trade. Both books are really worth reading as addition to Endgame and as independent works.

Board index : THE LOUNGE : Inner Game Essentials

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4