Quantcast

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : The Empowerment Project

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Hey guys,

I just sent you an email about this, but in case it got lost amongst all your "how to make money online" and "how to make women approach you" newsletters... ;)

Leigh and I have been meaning to set this project up for some time now. And for some time we've been saying "one day", "some day". When we have more time and more money.

Then one sunny morning I really got something: there will never be enough time or money. To wait for that before getting into action is to wait for a long time.

So, we decided to get into action, and to deal with whatever comes up as it comes up. And to treat everything as a learning experience.

So here's where we're at now:

http://www.attractioninstitute.org/homelessness

If you're at a stage in your life where..

- you're toying with going beyond your personal comfort zone
- you're wondering "why am I on this planet? what's my purpose?"
- you're noticing inklings of desire to make a difference on this planet

..there may be a real opportunity there for you to get involved, and to grow substantially through your involvement.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.attractioninstitute.org/homelessness

Steven

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 pm 
Endgame Aficionado

hey guys looks like you have great intentions for the homeless but i have a few initial hard questions to ask that ill try not to sound discouraging cause it is really a noble cause.

would the real problem be issues with depression and helplessness requiring qualified counciling and physche evaluation by qualified practioners? (if so who and how are you looking to encourage such individuals to join the cause pro bona or not)

is there a selection criteria? e.g. the recently homeless young adults would atleast be to me the ideal candidate where as more establish homeless persons may suffer from clinical depression or other diseases. maybe the homeless due to medical bills or circumstances that arent related to the psyche.

what are you planning on coaching them and is your intention for them to join the workforce after or during your coaching?

will those involved be welfare workers and what commitment will you require of them? (what services will you provide them to cope with the hardships they will encounter)

what sort of research have you done or are plannign to do into looking at the causes of homeless people.

im really not trying to be discouraging causei ts truly a great cause but its not a simple problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 am 
Mostly A Man. Mostly.

Hey mate,

Thanks for all the questions. It's great to see that you've put thought into this. THe good thing is that so have we. We're VERY aware of the limitations of our expertise and because of that, we're not attempting to tackle the WHOLE issue by ourselves.

Our intention for the project is to identify the gaps in the current service provision model, identify the areas that we can provide assistance to, and work from there. We're very conscious that there are issues that run FAR deeper than we're qualified to deal with and we're not going to even try and touch those at this point in time. We're going to stick to what we know best and when something comes up that is outside our scope, we're going to refer people on to others who can help them with those issues.

We've currently identified 2 specific areas that we can focus on and are in the process of doing further research into them to assess what's required to assist in those areas.

L.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Hey thanks Sean - questions like yours are welcome because with them you may bring attention to an area which we may have otherwise overlooked.

That's why we invite discussion and critique.

It is our aim to wrap this project around needs of the customers - ie the homeless folks. So before we even begin to attempt to answer the questions you pose, we need to be a lot more intimate with the nature of the problems which the homeless people face.

That is where the focus will be in the nearest future.

To understand, to empathise, to get out there and talk to homeless people and hear their stories. To unearth the causes of their suffering underneath all the layers. To see what's being done. What's working and what's not. To find out where current homelessness services are getting stopped. To find out why and how we can go further.

By the way, I haven't received your CV yet. Was your post a pseudo-application? ;)

Steven

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 am 
Endgame Aficionado

no but i have a contact in mind that can help depending on what you guys are doing. she studied welfare and social services at uni and is working with the salvation army at the moment. i've already told her about the project i just need to send her the website link. and depending on what you require i may apply, i doubt you are looking at buying an office or thinking about the strategic direction of the project at this stage :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:50 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Strategic direction of the project is exactly what we're thinking about at this stage ;) apply away!

And please encourage that friend of yours to get in touch with me - she sounds like she has skills to contribute.

Steven

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:18 am 
Get Real Graduate

it's good to see you guys going in with your eyes open and i think its a very worthy effort. you can't save everyone but the ones you do will make all the difference. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 am 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Can't save everyone, but at the very least we'll save Leigh.

Muhaha

S_

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 pm 
Get Real Graduate

why the hell get homeless people coached and me not?? i´m a loyal reader of your blog!!!
and them not!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:33 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

How do you know that they're not?

S_

Profile WWW 

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : The Empowerment Project

Go to page 1, 2  Next