[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
View topic - You're Fired.

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: You're Fired.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Yesterday I got fired.

Yup, on the same day as the Boardroom was opened. How paradoxical. My restaurant job is no more.

It's really clear to me now that I've actually been a really shithouse employee.

I'd struggle to name a couple of employers I've had in the past few years who are happy with me.

Which has forced me to look at who I'm being in the plenitude of hospitality jobs I've had. I find it a struggle to be effective at work, because to me those jobs have always been fun, dispensable means to help pay the bills.

The interesting thing is that I recently blogged about wanting to turn that around:

http://www.attractioninstitute.org/how- ... better-one

But it seems that I screwed up again. This job was both challenging and involving, but when they let me go, they said:

"You just don't seem to care."

Bah.

I'm going to explore this further in the days ahead - to make sure I don't continue jeopardizing my work environments and that my next job is a space which I flourish in, and flourishes as a result of me being there.

Steven

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 am 
Arm Chair Therapist

Wow Steven that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing something so personal.

I've really been blown away by The Three Laws of Performance which you recommended.....does your scenario relate in any way to your 'default future'? I'm only just at the part of the book where I'm ready to create a 'crisis of authenticity'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:57 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Hey saintli,

That Three Laws book blew me away too, I'm glad you're also finding it useful.

And yes, it's really clear to me that who I'm being in those jobs is someone who doesn't care. Hospitality jobs are relatively easy to get once you have experience, and so there's never been much at stake for me in losing them.

So the default, most probable future for me - unless I alter who I'm being in those jobs - is more firings, more hassle, less cash flow, more bosses who are upset with me, unrest in their life, loss of revenue for the venues in which I work and increased workload on other staff members.

Do I want to be creating that around me? Well, no. Enough of playing that game. Hence the choice to transform that part of my life.

The problem was rooted in this - my life had two parts. First part was AI and all associated activity, which I deemed as "important". And then there was everything else - my second jobs and, until recent past, my finances, my health, even at times my relationships - which I deemed as "I will take care of them later" or "will see what happens" or the good old Aussie "she'll be right"..

That doesn't work for me any more. So here's what I'm trying on:

Everything is important. There are no "areas of life". There is only life, and who I'm being in every moment.

Every area is a playground where I can grow by placing myself outside my comfort zone and noticing what comes up for me.

What frustrations and issues arise? What do I reject in that environment? Where in that environment is a loss of power for me? Where is my performance not at its fullest?

AI then becomes a place where I share this transformation, so that others can benefit.

Which means that if any "area" of my life is lacking integrity or is performing poorly, I'm undermining AI. So, I've gone from having very little at stake in those hospitality jobs to having everything at stake ;) The game just got much, much, much bigger.

Does that offer you anything? What came up for you as you read this?

Steven

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: You're Fired.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 pm 
Fresh Fish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 am 
Arm Chair Therapist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 pm 
Dr. Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:40 pm 
Mostly A Gimp. Mostly.

Anton, you're absolutely right - hospitality traditionally has been a space into which I have gone with the "this is something I'm doing on the side" attitude. And hence the results I produced.. or rather, didn't produce.

But I'm only now starting to see that any environment can be a place where we can grow, which is what I was alluding to in the post above.

Restaurant work - as an activity - is a safe one indeed. It's just moving cutlery and carrying food with some chatter here and there, really. But from that perspective being a surgeon is just cutting meat.

What I seek to explore is that a restaurant and a surgery are both as effective at bringing to the surface our inner shit.

Things like:

- the customers who are demanding,
- the fellow staff who are stressed,
- the boss who is well, bossy,

I noticed that they all elicit specific reactions in me which are to a greater or lesser extent, automatic.

It is those reaction that I seek to notice, explore and transform in my next job, so as to give me a breakthrough in performance and cause a breakthrough in the workplace I'm in.

So I'm not going there BEING a food affectionado because, as you correctly pointed out, I don't have much passion for the food part.

But I am starting to become very present to a newly emerging passion of mine, which is performance in the workplace (hence spawning of The Boardroom).

I want to figure out how to create the kind of workplaces where people deal with issues effectively, powerfully and authentically .. where they perform at their fullest potential and really look forward to going there. And for that purpose, being in a restaurant for me is as effective as being a surgeon or a bus driver.

Steven

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:27 pm 
Fresh Fish

I think my point was misunderstood. I believe the source of all happiness and fulfilment is perspective. Whether menial or serious task, your persective is what will give you ultimate satisfaction and fulfillment. I was only asking if this experience is a recurring phenomenon, maybe the universe is trying to steer you in a new direction which is outside your current line of sight. There are many ways to view this experience and recently i have be moving against the flow of life with my work. I have been struggling to generate an experiential festival over a period of 1 1/2 years and i changed my perspective that this lesson was to be learnt at another time. I returned to construction work and since my whole life has been turned inside out for the better.

Anyway, there are many opportunities available to you and you can create anything you like. In my experience, how you get there is another story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 am 
Arm Chair Therapist

I just wanted to say Anton, Dave, and Steven, I really appreciate the perspective here which is worlds beyond some of the usual 'how do i get girls' kind of topics common to the forum. Just reading through this is a challenging and thoughtful experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:15 am 
Mostly A Man. Mostly.

Dave, what's wrong with pain and discomfort? What will your learn about yourself by stickig with what is easy and comfortable?

Profile WWW 

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

Go to page 1, 2  Next