Quantcast

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:53 pm 
Get Real Graduate

hey guys,

i don´t know what should i do with my career life!
i made an education as social career, but the salery was terrible low. so i decided to get back to the technical college to make my a-level. after that i want study.

i really don´t know if this is the right way because during school/college i feel so terrible. i want to be a good studend, who is always listening and active and i try it but it´s hard for me i´m total restless at school. i can´t sit on my ass and listen. i wackle the hole school day with my leg, and i´m in the mindset of omg when it is over..

in my best imagination it´s total different. in my imagination, or better wishes. i can listen, i can sit on my ass and listen to the teacher till the end..

the next thing is that when i study, i have to live at my parents house, and that´s annoying too..

i don´t know what i should do..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:58 pm 
Get Real Graduate

do you know what you want to do? if you see yourself having a job in an office, you really do need a degree in this day and age. some other alternatives would to be a trade like electrician, plumber, carpenter, mechanic etc, do any of those interest you?

whatever happens i would strongly suggest you get 'something' that you can always fall back on. I am in IT and I know that even if I don't like it, if I am hard up I can always find work somewhere because I am qualified and skilled.

i hated high school and i hated university, and I was a terrible student. I also had to live with my parents which believe me was more than 'annoying'. But i stuck it out because that is what I wanted to do, and the reality was that everyone I would be competing for jobs against would have degrees.

I have seen first hand how not having a degree can limit you, some of my friends who are just as good as me if not better have never really been able to progress beyond entry level stuff. Which is horribly unfair but that's just how things work and you have to play the game so to speak.

it also took me 3 years to finish my first year of university, i am that good a student. One of the best things I did was take a year off after that and went traveling and got to see how hard it can be trying to make it. I came back after that year and smashed the rest of my studies, so it took me six years (including a year off) to finish a 3 year degree, but its made all the difference.

Anyway, there's plenty of good careers out there that don't require a degree, but they do require 3-4 years of training like an apprenticeship. Just get qualified at something, and then you will always have it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm 
Get Real Graduate

I’ve been going through the same thing lately with working out a new career path. I bought the UAC book and the Australia Government Job guide for hints, and I’ve found them both to be pretty helpful. You might also wanna check out these sites below that give good info on pay rates, employment outlook e.t.c

http://joboutlook.gov.au/pages/alpha.aspx
http://jobguide.dest.gov.au/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:10 am 
Get Real Graduate

You know my oldest sister gave me some very good advice when I was about 18 and just finishing high school. She basically said "i have no idea what I want to do in life so I'm just going to try and do something interests me & gets me to a place so that when im 35 and know what I want, I'll be in a position to just go do it"

I am contemplating a career change and its hard giving up something you spent 10+ years building, but thats another story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 am 
Get Real Graduate

another good thing about having a degree is it gives you more options later in life. If you have an undergrad degree in anything its easier to move to another field, as many universities let you do a masters (or grad cert/grad diploma) without an undergrad in the same field.

this was another rationalization for sticking with my degree and straight after i went and did a g dip in another field, which was way more interesting and enjoyable. I also knew i could quit it any time if i got bored of it.

you should also not discount doing a course part time through http://www.open.edu.au/

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.