[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
View topic - How do you know what your "Dream Career" is?

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:38 pm 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

My parents want me to study. I just started studying civil engineering. The career feels 'right' for me. The studying part will take around 5-6 years. Do you think I could be missing out on lots of things if I put off travelling and trying out new, crazy, unconventional things until I finish studying (what my parents told me I should do when I told them I wanted to travel to see new things cause I can't really choose what life I want unless I have seen, you know, more than like 1 "option")? My dad really resents having abandoned his studies, cause he says he's always depending on an employer, and that having a university title gives you a lot of independence in the work part.

I'm afraid of looking back in 5, 6 years and going "oh ok now I can travel and shit" and getting a "oh yeah but you need to work for some years first to save up" and you know being like "when do I get to do what I want?" everytime I finish doing the current "necessary" thing... what happens is it's really hard for me knowing weather I'm just bullshitting myself, about what, etc...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:54 pm 
Get Real Graduate

Hey man,

If there's one thing AI has taught me, it's do you what you feels right every moment.

Now I'm 18, and if you read the above posts you'll know that I've been completely confused about this as well, but the way to look at it is, that (Assuming you're near my age) you have your whole life ahead of you, and even if you're not, it's never too late to follow you're dream.

Say you went to study for 5-6 years in civil engineering and after that time now you have the training neccesary to do jobs and follow the career you want in this moment, OR you could do the alternative and work in a small time bar or whatever and build the money up to go travelling THEN look at training once you've found out what you want to do.

The point is it doesn't matter what path you take, aslong as you're enjoying the journey.

Aslong as you're enjoying the journey and living your purpose in THAT moment, you won't be missing out on anything, cos you're living that moment, and that's the only moment there is. The present one.

The way I see it, life is full of surprises and there will be times when you won't know what's coming next. In say 10 years, you could be working as a civil engineer and who knows you could be pretty high up in the rankings, but eventually you get to the point where your fed up because it's not bringing you the fulfillment you want anymore. So, you change career, and no matter what you go for, you have that training and experience under your belt, and that means something in almost any field.

I want to be a film actor, and again who know's I could be quite big in that career in say 5-10 years, but eventually i might want to change career cos I either want to try something new or am no longer satisfied with my job, but atleast I'll have the training and experience to go to a new career.

The point I'm trying to make is, your dream career is probably going to change somewhere down the line, that's not saying it will but it's likely to happen, e.g. you may have a wife and kids to care for so you'll need a steady income, or something like that. You're dream in the physical world will most likely change but aslong as you're following you're dream you'll always feel satisfied no matter what it is.

So yeah do what you feels right, take some risks, and give it everything you got. Least then you can look back and say (Regardless of if you reached your goal) I gave it everything I had.

Hope this helps out a bit mate, If I've said something that doesn't make sense (Which I probably have) let me know. :)

Rory.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:31 pm 
Get Real Graduate

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:49 am 
Get Real Graduate

That's actually something I'm working on as well, looking for people who're not only interested in the things you love to do, but who are the kind of people you want to hang out with/work with as well.

I guess the best way to know if the people you meet are who you want to connect with is to just open up to them, show them who you are and tell them what you plan to do, and see if they tick the same way.

I know what you mean about people wanting to stay in their routines, but if that makes them happy then fair play. Craven is right, it's all about just going out to find people who share your interests and ambitions.

Also, finding these people can affect your career greatly. If you're in need of work and you're friends with people in the same industry and line of work, you can call them up and see if they know of any jobs availible and might be able to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:50 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Agreed.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:31 pm 
Get Real Graduate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

Go to page Previous  1, 2