Quantcast

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

Post subject: Career Blues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
Endgame Aficionado

Hey guys,

I've been in my field for about 5 years or more. I support the community through coordinating related events. Thanks to that, I'm well-respected for doing it. Some people even call me leader of sorts. I attend several industry events in my city and show enthusiasm for the game.

Sadly, I still deal with short term contracts and long spurts for my main job. I attempt to apply for full-time positions, only to be thrown either poor or lackluster recruiters to come at me. I'm also dealing with a contract right now and unsure of whether I'll get an extension or something else.

My friends, who are in the same field as me, don't seem to have problems getting new positions and they do less than me. I'm usually now asking myself what am I doing wrong compared to them and of course, I know where that will lead. Thanks to that, I've been stunted in my independence growth to leave my house since I do not have consistent income.

Not sure if I'm feeling the jealousy because of still being on the Getting path or I'm just really frustrated about an outside factor. Anyway, guys: let me know if there's something I should be doing or could be doing wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm 
Get Real Graduate

Tough question man. It sounds like it might be pretty specific to what you do, and probably no-one here knows. If I were you I would look for any professional associations for your given field, try google <your job title> professional association

they usually have a careers advice service/resume/contract review. or if you are at a larger corporate type place maybe speak to HR.

I empathise though, it can be frustrating when you feel like your future is under the control of things you don't understand. THe best thing to do is try and become better informed. Put on your rationalist hat and go investigating, talk to professional association and try to find a career mentor type at one of those industry things you go to, hit them up on linkedin.

Board index : THE BOARDROOM : Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.