Quantcast

Board index : THE LOUNGE : Mission Control

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:06 pm 
Get Real Graduate

I find the same thing with my photography man, a lot of the time I'm left with indifference, I'm left with this "Yeah you did a good job... BUT..." The only time I really get that "fuck man, this is wonderful shit." Is from other artists themselves.

It's taken me nearly 12 months to get where I am, I've spent stupid money, and some of it really hasn't paid off. Other bits have. I'm learning what my style is and how to hit it on the head.

I know even after bad shoots, even after fantastic ones, people still often don't pay that much attention, unless it's got something to do with them, they're invested in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 pm 
Get Real Graduate

What I'm getting at is, don't let it pull you back, the only person who can really judge your work is you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm 
Jung

Hey man thanks- that was a bit of a whiny post.

After I wrote it I spent the rest of the week struggling but I kept working and got some good stuff done.

My experience was more like "yeah nice work" from family/friends but silence from other artists, which was most important to me.

Gradually over the last week or so people have been giving me more constructive and supportive feedback.

There was one guy's voice who was in my head all week so on the weekend I went to see him and the first thing he said was "I've been meaning to email you about your site. It's great! I'll have to get you to show me how you set it all up!"

So in the end it was all in my head (as usual). I kept pushing through my own doubts and trying to work from an internal motivation but I still needed to get that external feedback to reassure me.

I guess it'll take a while to get used to expressing myself without immediate feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 pm 
Get Real Graduate

Focus on the expression itself and not the feedback.

It feels fucking good, it shouldn't matter what other people think.

I struggle with it all the time though. I take pretty pictures, I look for feedback and sometimes when I don't get it I get upset and frustrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:05 pm 
Jung

Well I should post an update on this.

The short version is, undertaking this challenge has been the best decision I've made in YEARS!

Over the last 2 or so weeks I have been so busy with work directly flowing out of having the website that I've barely had any time to do anything else!

Looking back at my last post it's crazy to think how far beyond that limitation I feel now. Breaking through that fear barrier has opened everything up and now instead of fear, all I see is possibility (at least in this area of my life).

All the fears I wrote about like "what will people think of me" have been confronted in very direct, public ways, where people have affirmed what I am doing by paying me to do it, not to mention the verbal support. Many of the things that I was afraid of don't even register as fear anymore, they register as challenges to get excited about, or stepping stones to new challenges and more growth and improvement.

It feels fucking AMAZING guys.

Sure, maybe not everyone loves what I do. But there are other people who get excited by my stuff. My work has the power to make people feel happy, at least for a moment. Now that, to me, is valuable work.

My mind gets busy with new ideas about how to make the most of my work, but also how to help others make the most of their own work. I try to keep my focus on what practical things I can do right now to take small steps toward what may seem like lofty goals.

It's an exciting time... While I'm not necessarily paying the bills yet, I am getting paid and I feel like momentum is building.

How has this changed my relationships with women?

In terms of 'results' I have to say that I haven't increased my success with women at all.

Firstly, I haven't had a lot of time to go out and meet any.
Secondly, I feel like I'm still holding myself back in that area and will need to make a concerted effort to push through whatever resistance I have to relationships.

On the other hand, I think the way women behave toward me has changed somewhat.

The difference in the interactions with women is that I'm a lot more relaxed (maybe sometimes too much) and they both initiate conversation and want to keep it going. In other words, they are interested in who I am.

I have always been pretty dumb at picking up signals from girls who are attracted to me but even I can feel that those signals are coming up more and more without me even trying.

Why aren't I picking up on the threads these girls are putting out? This is definitely another area where I need to push through my self-imposed limitations and open up some new possibilities...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 pm 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Awesome dude : ), very inspiring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:51 am 
Mostly A Man. Mostly.

That's awesome dude. I'm glad to hear it.

Keep up the good work.

L.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:25 am 
Fresh Fish

An absolute inspiration. What youc aré doing is amazing, keep going like that.

Kerith

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:59 pm 
Jung

Guys, I gotta be honest... this shit is not easy.

Somewhere along the line I slackened off with my discipline and I've let things get half-arsed. I haven't kept up with my time/project management and the result is things are getting flabby.

I just looked back at the goals in my first post in this thread and it turns out I've actually achieved the majority of the goals I wanted to do when I started out. I've definitely achieved the major ones. But instead of feeling like I've achieved something, I just keep seeing how much more I could do and how much better it could be.

The more I focus on how much better it could be, I lose focus on what I need to do right now, and then shit starts to come apart. I've got HEAPS of ideas, but without the structure there building the foundation, the day-to-day stuff, the ideas will never stand up.

After 6 months of work on this project, I think I need to take a week off and come back fresh and energised...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

Hey man, at least you're seeing what's wrong, not panicking, and already you are taking action to act on what you see and what you need to do. That's a win in my book.

Board index : THE LOUNGE : Mission Control

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next